if the universe were to explode in five minutes, which could happen, would really want to be reading this in your final minutes?

Monday, February 19, 2007

I want to be Shakespeare

I have to write something incredible, something great. I have to write a bestseller, a critically acclaimed masterpiece. I have to write something timeless, that lasts forever. I have to write something that resounds with people of my time and others. I have to write something.
I have to be something, someone. I have to know that I am not useless, arbitrary in this world. I have to know that I have an impact on the world. I can’t be a blip on the time line of human existence; I have to important, influential.
I have to make something out of myself. Whether it be a film or a book or whatever; I have to do it. I have to funnel my existence into something physical, something that will last forever.
I want to be re-discovered by cultures in the future. They will call me the greatest something of my culture, of my world. I want to like Homer or Plato.
But I want to be known in my own time too; I don’t want to be Emily Dickinson or Vincent Van Gogh.
I want people to know my name, to know what I’ve done. But I don’t want to be a footnote in some textbook. I want to be on the tips of peoples tongues in 400 years. I want an entire chapter devoted to me.
I want to be Shakespeare.


Digg!

No comments: